Not effective: 0.03
What is Body Psychotherapy?
- A Body Psychotherapy session might involve the therapist initially asking the client to bring awareness of themselves to the flow of energy from their body to the ground.
- Stretching, vibration, and breathing exercises are taught to the client so they can experience a sense of connection to the flow of energy.
- Use of therapeutic touch brings awareness to body tension. The therapist encourages relaxation.
- Therapist provides a reassuring hand on the shoulder or biodynamic massage, depending on the client.
- Body Psychotherapy also comes in the form of dance/movement therapy interventions.
- People sometimes stop breathing when they want to block feelings.
- People reconnecting with their breath brings balance and relaxation.
0.03 no effect: no effect on schizophrenia symptoms (Priebe, Savill, Wykes, Bentall, Reininghaus, Lauber,& … Röhricht, 2016)
Priebe, S., Savill, M., Wykes, T., Bentall, R. P., Reininghaus, U., Lauber, C., & … Röhricht, F. (2016). Effectiveness of group body psychotherapy for negative symptoms of schizophrenia: Multicentre randomised controlled trial. The British Journal Of Psychiatry, 209(1), 54-61. doi:10.1192/bjp.bp.115.171397