Not enough research.
What is Emotionally Focused Therapy?
1. 8-20 sessions, brief, used for couples mainly but works with diverse populations
2. Human emotions are connected to human needs
3. Emotions are innately adaptive
4. If worked through, it can change emotional states and interpersonal relationships
5. Emotion-related problems stem from at least four different possible causes: lack of awareness or avoidance of emotion, dysregulation of emotion, maladaptive emotion response, or a problem with making meaning of experiences.
6. Rogerian in person-centered approach, Gestalt using chair techniques for resolving “unfinished business” and two chair technique for self-critical splits, trauma re-telling for relief, validation, understanding broader meaning.