Small effectiveness: 0.30
What is Hypnotherapy?
- Induces hypnotic state in client to increase motivation or alter behavior patterns: Consults with client to determine nature of problem.
2. Prepares client to enter hypnotic state by explaining how hypnosis works and what client will experience.
3. Tests subject to determine degree of physical and emotional suggestibility.
4. Induces hypnotic state in client, using individualized methods and techniques of hypnosis based on interpretation of test results and analysis of client’s problem.
5. May train client in self-hypnosis conditioning.
0.53 moderate effect: reduced disability-related pain (Bowker & Dorstyn, 2016)
0.06 no effect: not more effective than cognitive behavioral therapy (Bowker & Dorstyn, 2016)
Bowker, E., & Dorstyn, D. (2016). Hypnotherapy for disability-related pain: A meta-analysis. Journal Of Health Psychology, 21(4), 526-539. doi:10.1177/1359105314530452