Moderate effectiveness: 0.58
What is Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy?
1. Uses CBT and Eastern psychological strategies like mindfulness meditation
2. Client is educated on their mental illness (such as depression)
3. Client focuses on becoming aware of all incoming thoughts and feelings and accepting them, but not attaching or reacting to them.
4. Aids in disengaging from self-criticism, rumination, and dysphoric mood that can arise when reacting to negative thinking patterns
5. Focus less on reacting to incoming stimuli, and instead accepting and observing them without judgment.
0.55 moderate effect: reduced depression in older adults (Kishita, Takei, & Stewart, 2017)
0.58 moderate effect: reduced anxiety in older adults (Kishita, Takei, & Stewart, 2017)
0.59 moderate effect: reduced rumination (Perestelo-Perez, Barraca, Peñate, Rivero-Santana, & Alvarez-Perez, 2017)
0.88 large effect: increased sleep efficiency (Kanen, Nazir, Sedky, & Pradhan, 2015)
0.36 small effect: decreased stress (Abbott, Whear, Rodgers, Bethel, Coon, Kuyken, & … Dickens, 2014)
0.35 small effect: reduced depression symptoms (Abbott, Whear, Rodgers, Bethel, Coon, Kuyken, & … Dickens, 2014)
0.50 moderate effect: reduced anxiety symptoms (Abbott, Whear, Rodgers, Bethel, Coon, Kuyken, & … Dickens, 2014)
Abbott, R. A., Whear, R., Rodgers, L. R., Bethel, A., Coon, J. T., Kuyken, W., & … Dickens, C. (2014). Effectiveness of mindfulness-based stress reduction and mindfulness based cognitive therapy in vascular disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Journal Of Psychosomatic Research, 76(5), 341-351. doi:10.1016/j.jpsychores.2014.02.012
Kanen, J. W., Nazir, R., Sedky, K., & Pradhan, B. K. (2015). The effects of mindfulness-based interventions on sleep disturbance: A meta-analysis. Adolescent Psychiatry, 5(2), 105-115. doi:10.2174/2210676605666150311222928
Kishita, N., Takei, Y., & Stewart, I. (2017). A meta‐analysis of third wave mindfulness‐based cognitive behavioral therapies for older people. International Journal Of Geriatric Psychiatry, 32(12), 1352-1361. doi:10.1002/gps.4621
Perestelo-Perez, L., Barraca, J., Peñate, W., Rivero-Santana, A., & Alvarez-Perez, Y. (2017). Mindfulness-based interventions for the treatment of depressive rumination: Systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal Of Clinical And Health Psychology, 17(3), 282-295. doi:10.1016/j.ijchp.2017.07.004